Reducing waste is at the very core of this delicious apple sauce recipe! Do you have a bowl of apples that are starting to lose their crunch and get a little soft? Don’t throw them away just yet, because they can be given a new lease of life as a tasty, rustic, waste-reducing condiment. Our apple sauce recipe is incredibly easy and even lets you leave the skin on, meaning there’s absolutely no unnecessary waste. Check it out below!
Where is apple sauce best used?
Need a quick bit of inspo before you indulge in our apple sauce recipe? Well, it’s your lucky day, cause we’ve got a basket full of ideas. Apple sauce can be used in a whole variety of versatile ways, whether you’re cooking your main or dessert. Here are some popular ways of using our apple sauce recipe that we think you might fancy:
- – Baking
- – With meat
- – Breakfast
- – Desserts
- – Baby food
- – Snacks
Rustic apple sauce recipe
- – 4-6 apples of your choice
- – 250 ml of water
- – 3 tbsp of sugar
- – Splash of lemon juice
- – ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1. Chop your apples into chunks and throw them into a pot or deep pan with water, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon (if you fancy it!).
- 2. Bring the pot to a boil, and then lower to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If it starts to get too dry, add more water.
- 3. You’ll start to notice the apples breaking down and turning into an apple sauce consistency. You can smash them with a potato masher or the end of your stirring spoon to aid the process.
- 4. Finally, the last thing to do is enjoy it! What will you use your apple sauce for?
Join our milkround
If you’re all about making the most out of your food before it goes to waste, we’ve got plenty of ideas and solutions on our sustainability blog. So if you’re keen to shop for your groceries sustainably, get started by joining our milkround. Our milkies deliver a range of sustainably packaged products up to three times a week, from freshly baked goods to doorstep milk delivery and fresh juice delivery.
It’s as easy as signing up, placing at least one repeat order and picking delivery dates that work for you! If you need to change up your orders, that’s fine with us. Simply add or remove your items by 8pm the night before your delivery is due and you’re good to go.