Did you know a massive 4.4 million potatoes are wasted every day? When you realise your potatoes have gone wrinkly or soft, it can be easy to toss them out and contribute to that huge number of wasted potatoes. So, to help combat food waste, our Modern Milkman tater team has whipped up a quick and easy hashbrown recipe that’ll keep your family full and your zero-waste goals intact.
A stodgy trick
Made one too many jacket spuds last night, and don’t know what to do with the leftovers? This recipe is the perfect way to make breakfast easy – and waste-free- when you follow Modern Milkman’s delicious hashbrown recipe. Instead of using raw potatoes, which hold a lot of moisture and require more prep, we’ll be using already baked potatoes. Trust us, this works wonders and is the perfect way to utilise last night’s leftovers.
- – 3-4 baked potatoes
- – 1-2 tbsps neutral cooking oil
- – Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Grate last night’s leftover jacket spuds into a bowl. Don’t worry if the skin is left on – Not only are they full of added nutrients, they won’t change the hashbrown, and will keep food waste at bay.
- 2. Once you’ve grated all of your potatoes, heat a pan on medium and add your choice of cooking oil.
- 3. Place the grated potato into your pan and spread it out to a thin, even layer. This ensures your hashbrowns will get crispy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. After 3-4 minutes, flip the hashbrown. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. You want them to be golden and crispy for maximum enjoyment!
- 5. If you’ve made enough to share with the whole family, spread the hashbrown love! Although it is tempting to keep this tasty treat all to yourself!
We hope you loved making these hashbrowns as much as we did. But more importantly, we hope you enjoy eating them even more!
Make a meal out of it!
When it comes to hashbrowns, your options are hashtag endless. Hashbrowns are a versatile breakfast delight that can be enjoyed with a massive range of dishes! So if you’re in need of some inspiration on how to make a meal of your hashbrowns, here are some quick ideas, courtesy of us.
- – Buddha Bowl: Throw together a fresh Buddha bowl using a variety of cooked grains, roasted or steamed vegetables, and a yummy dressing. Top it off with some hashbrowns for added texture and taste and you’ve got yourself a healthy brunch to set you up for the day ahead!
- – Hashbrown Avocado Toast:
Top a slice of our Sanetra Sourdough with mashed avocado, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Pop a warm hashbrown on top of the avocado spread for a breakfast that is all you could avo dream of.
- – Hashbrown Breakfast Sandwich: Throw together all of your early morning favourites for an ensemble cast guaranteed to sweep every breakfast award show! Layer a hashbrown, a fried or scrambled egg, cheese (from our creamery), and your choice of toppings such as tomato, lettuce, or avocado on one sandwich for a star-studded breakfast bite.
Hungry for more?
Love the sound of our waste free hashbrown recipe? Here’s even ways to make the most out of the food in your fridge before they go to waste:
- – Overnight oats recipe
- – Creamy Boulangère potato recipe
- – Zesty carrot and beetroot salad recipe
- – Rustic apple sauce recipe
- – Crispy hash brown recipe
- – Bread and butter pudding recipe
Join our milkround
If you’re all about finding waste free ways to enjoy a whole range of meals, you’re gonna love our plastic free deliveries. Our milkies can bring all of your grocery essentials straight to your door, up to three times a week. So whether you’re needing a doorstep milk delivery or a bakery delivery, you can get started by signing up, placing at least one repeat order and picking a delivery date that suits you! It’s really that easy.