Whether you’re having a picnic in the countryside, or a BBQ in your garden, you can’t beat enjoying some delicious food outdoors – especially if it’s sunny out (fingers crossed). And with summer well on its way, we thought it was time to share two of our favourite recipes that you can enjoy while in the fresh air with your friends and family.
Picnic-Ready Egg and Mayo Sandwich
There’s nothing more classic than an egg and mayo sandwich. We’ve given it a slight twist, adding a hint of mustard and green onion to really give it a pop of flavour.
2 hard-boiled farm-fresh eggs
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon yellow or Dijon mustard (depending on your preference)
1 spring onion
1 pinch of salt and pepper
1 slather of salted butter
2 slices of sourdough
- 1. Cut up your hard-boiled eggs into chunks and put them in a bowl.
- 2. Add in your mayonnaise and mustard and give it a good stir until everything is incorporated.
- 3. Dice up your spring onion and mix it into your egg mayo mixture.
- 4. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Cut 2 slices of your sourdough and spread the butter onto each slice.
- 6. Assemble your sandwich by placing the mixture on one slice and putting the other slice one top.
- 7. Enjoy!
Easy Summertime Vanilla Cake
Don’t be fooled, this vanilla cake is anything but boring. It’s sweet, decadent, and goes perfect with an afternoon cuppa. For extra pizzazz, why not top it with a dust of sugar, edible flowers, or sweet summer berries?
175g softened salted butter
175g (6oz) caster sugar
175g (6oz) self-rising flour, sifted
1tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180° (gas mark 4). For your cake tin, lightly grease it with extra butter and (for ease of taking the cake out) cut a circle of parchment paper and place it on the bottom of the tin.
- 2. Place all of the ingredients into a bowl and give it a good stir until it’s mixed. But don’t over mix it – just enough that it’s all incorporated and smooth.
- 3. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake it in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until it’s completely cooked through. To test this, take a knife and poke the centre, it should come out clean.
- 4. Once you take the cake out of the oven, let it rest for about five minutes before popping it out onto a plate to cool.
- 5. Top however you like and enjoy!
Taste: Fruity, sweet, and tangy. For those summer nights you just don’t want to end.
Adults-only: add a splash of vodka
8-10 strawberries, sliced
½ orange, sliced
½ lemon, sliced
Handful of mint leaves
Large handful of ice
500ml pineapple juice
300ml orange juice
- 1. Place the fruit, mint and ice in a pitcher.
- 2. Pour in the juice and lemonade and give it a good mix.
- 3. Enjoy!
If we’ve tickled your fancy and you’d like more refreshing and delicious mocktail recipes, just visit our mocktail blog.
We hope you enjoy these delicious recipes!