There’s nothing skewwhiff about our BBQ vegetable skewers. This fantastically simple vegan, veggie and planet-friendly recipe is a sure-fire hit when it comes to impressing your guests.
Like your veggies kebabbed and your summers nice and sizzling? Get your flame on and enjoy a fun, fiery plastic free feast by throwing some vegetable skewers on the BBQ.
Vegetable skewers on the BBQ recipe
When shopping for ingredients, remember you’re looking to make a rainbow of colour. The best vegetables for barbecue skewers are:
- – Balsamic vinegar
- – Salt and pepper
Bonus tip: looking for a bit of extra pizzazz with your veggie kebabs? Why not thread a bit of halloumi onto your skewer?
How to make the best vegetable skewers for a BBQ
For this plastic free recipe, you’ll need some metal skewers. These are available at most supermarkets, and the best thing about them is that they can be reused again, and again, and again with no waste!
- 1. Chop your veggies into relatively thick chunks (by veggies, we mean your vegetables, not your herbivore guests). This ensures they cook evenly, and don’t slip off your skewer while you’re grilling. Trust us, there’s nothing worse than seeing a bit of courgette tragically fall into the irretrievable pit of your grill.
- 2. Carefully place your veg on the skewers. Try to puncture the skewer through the thickest, most central part of each veg chunk, and mix and match the orders to create a colourful, flavoursome pattern. We recommend placing your red onions atop your mushroom for a fantastic fusion of flavour.
- 3. Once you’ve arranged your veggie kebab formations, drizzle some balsamic vinegar over them and arrange them on your heated barbecue grill.
- 4. Rotate every couple of minutes, taking care not to burn your hands on the metal skewers. We recommend using oven gloves.
- 5. Cooking times will vary. We recommend grilling your veggie skewers until they begin to char on all sides. Once done, season with salt and pepper for added flavour.
- 6. Now for the part you’ve all been waiting for, get yourself stuck right in and enjoy!
Can you prepare vegetable skewers for the BBQ the night before?
A barbie is all about preparation, and vegetable skewers are a fantastic time-saving dish. You can prepare these up to a day before your BBQ, so you’re not frantically kebabbing aubergines when your guests arrive.
We recommend slicing and skewering your vegetables the day before and placing them in your fridge. You can even soak them in one of our BBQ marinades in advance, to lock in that extra flavour.
The most important thing is that they remain in the refrigerator until they’re ready for the grill.
Marinades for vegetable kebabs
Not a fan of balsamic or want to try something a little more exotic? Check out our BBQ marinade recipes!
Hungry for more?
Enjoying the sound of our vegetable skewers for the BBQ? Don’t worry, the waste free BBQ doesn’t end here! Check out even more vegetarian recipes to accompany your vegetable skewers!
Complete your sizzling banquet and become a natural-born griller with our many other veggie BBQ recipes!
Join our milkround
Curious about how it works over here at Modern Milkman? Well, it’s simple, really. We deliver a delicious selection of sustainable grocery products to your doorstep as often as three times a week. Check out our new milk and food products to see if anything tickles your fancy and let’s get you added to the milkround! Get started now by signing up, placing at least one repeat order, and picking the delivery days that suit your busy schedule. Then, one of our milkies will be around with your doorstep milk delivery in no time.