It’s officially the bleak midwinter. The days are short, the nights are long, and frost is biting harder than a vampire with fresh dentures. So, if you’re looking for ways to thaw out those cold-weather blues, we have the perfect winter warmer recipe to devour this week.
This hearty potato hash with eggs and avocado is made with sustainably packaged ingredients you can find on your milkround. It’s tasty, it’s comforting, and it’s easy to make. So easy you won’t make a hash of it. Well, you will. You’ll make a potato hash. But you catch our drift.
1 large ripe avocado
1 lime, juiced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped or grated onion
1 chopped red pepper
2 chopped or grated potatoes or sweet potatoes
Sriracha to serve
1. Mash the avocado with a fork, leaving some chunks. Add a squeeze of lime juice and season to taste.
2. Warm the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for two minutes before stirring in the potato or sweet potato.
3. Press the potato into the pan with the back of a wooden spoon and season well.
4. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the potato is softened and crisp at the edges.
5. Make two wells in the pan, break in the eggs, and cook for two-three minutes or until the whites are firm and the yolks runny.
6. Top with a scoop of avocado and a drizzle of sriracha sauce to serve.
When it comes to ingredients, this recipe is as flexible as a wellness retreat full of yoga instructors. So, feel free to improvise with whatever leftover vegetables you have lying around.
Hungry for more ideas? There’s plenty more where that came from:
Easy Weekday Fajita Recipe
Comforting Autumn Recipes
Sunny Fruit Salad Recipe