Our winter soup recipe provides warmth and comfort during the colder months. It can also help to top up on your five a day, with all sorts of health benefits, including improved gut biodiversity and raised levels of immunity (it was on a documentary the other week). Our carrot and sweet potato soup might even help you to see in the dark, or at least that’s what your mum would say. It certainly won’t do you any harm anyway!
Our veg bundle is perfect for winter soups
You’ll be able to find most of the ingredients for this winter soup recipe in our Back to basics bundle. However, to reduce food waste you can swap sweet potatoes for regular potatoes if you have any leftovers.
Pro tip: Keep leftover veg scraps in the freezer. When you’ve got enough you can boil them up to make your very own zero-waste vegetable stock. Saving money and the planet all in one pan!
Carrot and sweet potato winter soup recipe
- 1. Preheat your oven to 220C. Peel and cut your sweet potatoes and carrots into rough chunks.
- 2. Place the chunks into a large roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and season well, then bake for 25-30 minutes until they are caramelised and tender.
- 3. Dice 2 large onions and fry them in a large pan with olive oil over a medium to low heat., When softened, remove from the heat and set aside.
- 4. When the carrots and sweet potatoes are cooked, place them in the pan with the fried onions and add your vegetable stock. Stir everything together.
- 5. Remove from the heat and then use a hand blender to make the soup nice and smooth.
- 6. Reheat the soup until it simmers gently, and remove from the heat. Serve in bowls with a generous swirl of crème fraîche and a good grinding of black pepper.
Hungry for more?
If you loved this tasty winter soup recipe, our sustainability blog is jam-packed with plenty of other delicious ideas. Here’s just a few recipes to whet you waste-fighting appetite:
- – Creamy Boulangère potato recipe
- – Carrot and beetroot salad recipe
- – Overnight oats recipe
- – Apple sauce recipe
- – Hot cross buns recipe
Join our milkround
If you’re looking for convenience, sustainability, and delicious food, you’ll love what we have on offer. Our mission is to reduce waste by making the switch to susainable shoppingas easy as possible. That’s why all our packaging is either returnable, reusable, recyclable or home-compostable – to turn landfills into land-empties.
Sign up to our milkround and you’ll get waste-fighting groceries and essentials on your doorstep before 7.30am. And with our milk delivery and egg delivery up to three times a week, you’ll never have a milk-less morning or egg-less evening again.